It is sometimes claimed (usually by men!) that we women have a more pronounced need to talk than men do. However, I know men who talk at least as much as we women do, if not more;-)! But it is not necessarily the length of a conversation, but the content that counts. Even if we women like to chat about handbags, TV, or mascara, we also have just as many conversations about personal feelings, and experiences.
However, there are still many women amongst us who have never learnt to talk about their feelings, or needs. Since their childhood, they have carried on their family’s way of thinking without questioning it. These beliefs might be based on the following dogmas:
_ Women should not protest!
_ Women should swallow unpleasant things!
_ Women should not talk about themselves!
According to statistics it is easier for women to talk about feelings than for men. And what is important to them is more often discussed with a friend, than a partner. Many women also find it easier to stand up for others than for themselves. As girls they used to hear that their opinion is not worth listening to.
AS A WOMAN YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OR READ SENTENCES LIKE THIS…
- “Hold your tongue!”
- “Don’t be so cheeky!”
- “Only speak when spoken to!”
- “Nobody is interested in your opinion.”
- “Don’t be so curious!”
- “This is none of your business.”
- “Do not bombard me with questions!”
- “Women’s talk! It’s only idle chatter!”
- “Life is not a request programme.”
WHAT HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH THE 5th CHAKRA?
The fifth chakra is located in the area of the larynx, or the thyroid gland, which causes problems for a lot of women. Symbolically, and energetically, this chakra stands for the natural need to express oneself, and to say what is important.
Women, suffering from an overactive thyroid gland, often have problems standing up for themselves. They often talk quietly, and can hardly make themselves heard.
The throat chakra also stands for the inner life plan which we have brought into this life. If we deviate too much from it, by not expressing and living our true feelings, talents, wishes or desires, we can feel the effects in our fifth chakra. Therefore, excessive will, stubbornness, or fixations, can cause thyroid problems.
As long as we fight against our life, against a higher will or power, it can have negative effects on other areas of our body in the long term. A typical message would be: “I do what I want, no matter what my body says!”
TYPICAL TOPICS CONCERNING THE FIFTH FEMALE CHAKRA:
- Not being able/allowed to express oneself
- Swallowing problems
- Keeping quiet
- Being scared of conflict
- Biting one’s tongue
- Not having/wanting to express an opinion
- Not living one’s talents
- Straying from one’s inner life plan
The following table (according to C.N. Shealy and C.M. Myss, The Creation of Health, 1983) shows what disorders can be related to a weak fifth female chakra:
|organs||mental and psychological areas||possible physical disorders|
|fifth chakra||thyroid gland
teeth and palate
creative work in the world by using personal strength
|(chronic) sore throat
problems with the palate
disease of the jawbone joint
problems with the thyroid
HOW CAN WE REBALANCE THE FIFTH FEMALE CHAKRA?
As with all the other chakras there are different ways to strengthen and balance the fifth chakra, such as:
- on the energetic level through physical exercises or yoga
- with the help of body-energy-work
- with the help of meditation
- on the emotional level through talking therapy, family settings, kinesiology, astrological sessions, etc,
- on the mental level through positive thinking, mental training, etc.
- on the spiritual level through transformation of karmic blockages, or oaths with the help of spiritual tools